Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Glenn greenwald tore up former CNN White House correspondent Jim acosta Thursday, after the CNN presenter appeared to discredit the Inspector General’s report which debunks the widespread narrative surrounding Lafayette Square and President Trump last summer.
Acosta shared his grievances with Home Office Inspector General Mark Greenblatt on Thursday’s “New Day” episode, questioning his credibility as a person appointed by Trump.
Greenblatt released a report earlier this week finding the former president played no role in eliminating protesters outside Lafayette Park last June, tempering accusations that Trump ordered the directive to mark a biblical boast photography opportunity.
IG: THE POLICE DIDN’T CLEAR LAFAYETTE PLACE FOR TRUMP TO POSE FOR A BIBLE PHOTO
“I have to say that when I read this report, I had the impression that this inspector general was auditioning to become inspector general of Mar-A-Lago because it is almost a laundering of what happened on June 1, “Acosta told his audience.
Greenwald wasted no time retaliating against the CNN poster child, whom he accused of “attacking and damaging the reputation of a respected career public servant”
“CNN and @Acosta attack and slander the reputation of a well-respected career public servant who has served in multiple administrations because his investigation proved that CNN and Acosta were peddling pure inventions (again) for weeks,” a- he declared. “Rather than admit it, they mess.”
Greenblatt held several lower government positions during the George W. Bush and Barack Obama years before being promoted to Inspector General by Trump in 2019.
Despite his credentials, Acosta said he found Greenblatt’s investigation insufficient, saying he had not spoken with key sources.
“According to the inspector general’s report, they haven’t spoken to senior White House officials, they haven’t spoken to the secret service, so that certainly raises more questions,” he said.
Acosta claimed that Trump “intended to use the clearing of the park to organize this photo op, although that was not the original intention of the park police.”
On June 1, 2020, Trump made headlines for walking through a recently cleaned area in front of the White House to pose for a photo in front of St. John’s Church while holding a Bible after the church was ignite amid protests for the death of George Floyd and Black Lives Matter.
Groups like Black Lives Matters and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) then sued Trump and his attorney general Bill Barr for forcibly evicting protesters from the square.
But the investigation published by the Inspector General of the Department of the Interior, the US Parks Police and the US Secret Service concluded that it was necessary to evacuate protesters from the park on June 1 in order to install anti-lime fencing. The move came after at least 49 United States Parks Police (USPP) were injured while monitoring protests that took place May 30-31.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Federal police officials did not learn of the president’s “potential” plan to walk around the park until hours after the operational strategy to erect the fence was in place.
“The evidence we obtained does not support a conclusion that the USPP cleared the park to allow the president to examine the damage and walk to St. John’s Church,” the report said.
Fox News’ Caitlin McFall contributed to this report.