SEOUL — Kim Jong Un’s sister has vowed that North Korea will step up its national defense and deterrence after the joint US-Korean military exercises she has called for cancellation appeared likely to begin next week.
Preliminary training has already started for the annual Seoul-Washington exercises, South Korean media reported. These were once large-scale field exercises featuring tens of thousands of military personnel, but now they are largely computer simulations, following orders from then-President Donald Trump, to reduce them. But North Korea remains angry.
On Tuesday, Kim Yo Jong, the younger sister of the North Korean dictator, blasted Washington and Seoul for ignoring his early warnings to stop “dangerous war drills.” By failing to do so, the current US administration is proving that overtures of engagement and dialogue are nothing more than “hypocrisy to cover up its aggressive nature,” Kim said in a statement released by the United States. state media.
“Reality proves that only substantial deterrence, not words, can ensure peace and security on the Korean Peninsula,” Kim said.
Ms. Kim, who has seen her role rise in recent years, is Pyongyang’s spokesperson for relations with Washington and Seoul. In March, she protested against the spring drills, and then days later the North tested its first ballistic missiles since President Biden took office. Since then, Pyongyang has been immune to provocations.